I had to take the car to the shop today ($800 repair, covered by the warranty: thank god for a consumer economy) and occupied myself during the repair by making the short trip over to Burnsville Center. Apart from having dinner at the Mall of America with a blog friend a while ago, this was my first visit to a real mall (note: the “Faribo West Mall” in Faribault does not count), and I felt a little bit like the hick in the big city. A few surprises:
- The myriad oppotunities for free ear piercing.
- The prominence of lingerie in shop windows.
- The ubiquity of Packers gear.
- The thorough co-branding.
- The law office near the Cinnabon.
- The Somali-based workforce.
- The prevalence of kiosks.
- The prevalence of kiosks selling cell phones, sunglasses and accessories, and dubious-sounding health care “solutions.”
- The sheer number of vending machines, although they only sold Coke and Coke products.
- The high prices.
2 thoughts on “Surprises at the Mall”
Packers gear? Don’t you live in Vikings country? Or is Adrian Peterson not exciting enough to wrench people away from Aaron Rodgers? (Who, by the way, lost to Matt Ryan (yeah BC) and the Atlanta FALCONS)
That’s why all the Packers swag was a surprise! There’s no fairer-weather fan than a Vikings fan.