Here are nine reasons that I love this nine-year-old kid:
1. She is ridiculously smart, and I can tell she’s going to use her brain to great effect over the next nine years – and beyond.
2. She loves to read. If she has her nose in a book, good luck getting her attention. And she will stop to read at any time: while she’s making her bed, while she’s toweling off after a bath, while she’s setting the table, while she’s watching TV…
3. She is a far more patient sister than anyone has any right to expect – least of all her demanding little sister.
4. She loves writing almost as much as reading, and does a wonderful job of combining the books she already knows and loves with her own amazing imagination.
5. She has lately discovered pop music, in the form of the British boy band One Direction, which I’m surprised to discover is not terrible.
6. She really enjoys doing stuff in the kitchen, whether it’s helping her mom make a cake or making a peanut butter sandwich for my lunch (a daily routine). She’s awfully good at cooking scrambled eggs, and loves to make pancakes – especially the flipping part.
7. She is wonderfully, amazingly kindhearted. Her first impulses are to share, to take turns, to ask another’s opinion. It’s wonderful.
8. She has a wonderful head of hair. So thick and beautiful. I’ll cry a Nile of tears if she ever shaves her head in a fit of collegiate self-discovery. Then it will grow back.
9. She’s got a great smile! I mean, check the picture!